Moniek Kuijpers is a postdoctoral research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics in Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany. Her PhD thesis (2014) is concerned with varieties of absorption in reading narrative literature. Her main research interest is absorbing reading experiences, in particular the experiential and physiological qualities of absorption experiences, and the temporal development of absorption experiences linked to specific textual devices. Other research interests include text processing, foregrounding, individual differences in absorption, and narrative adaptations. She is a board member in charge of Training Schools for the International Society for Empirical Study of Literature (IGEL). Among her publications are Exploring absorbing reading experiences. Developing and validating a self-report scale to measure story world absorption (2014) and Bodily Feelings in Literary reading (2011) together with David Miall.
- Kuijpers, M.M. (June 2015) Measuring the feeling of being there. The challenges that come with researching absorption experiences [Invited Lecture]. Courant Reseach Centre ‘Text Structures’, Göttingen University, Göttingen.
- Kuijpers, M.M. (May 2015) Absorbing stories: Workings of a metaphorical concept in empirical studies on reading experience [Invited Lecture]. Immersion Workshop, Berlin.
- Kuijpers, M.M. (January 2015) Exploring varieties of absorption in reading narrative literature [Invited Lecture], Ravenstein Seminar, Amsterdam.
- Kuijpers, M.M. (2014) Absorbing Stories. The effects of textual devices on absorption and evaluative responses. (unpublished PhD thesis) Utrecht University.
- Kuijpers, M.M., Hakemulder, F, Doicaru, M, Tan, E. (2014) Exploring absorbing reading experiences: Developing and validating a self-report scale to measure story world absorption. Scientific Study of Literature, 4 (1), pp. 89-122.
- Kuijpers, M.M. & Miall, D.S. (2011). Bodily Involvement in Literary Reading: An Experimental Study of Readers’ Bodily Experiences during Reading. In F. Hakemulder (Eds.), De Stralende Lezer. Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek naar de Invloed van het Lezen (pp. 160-174). Delft: Eburon.
- Kuijpers, M.M. (July 2012) Development of a new scale to measure narrative absorption’, Biannual Conference of the International Society for Empirical Study of Literature (IGEL), Montreal.